Tuesday, January 4

Adventures in Wedding Planning

Let's start this like a cheesy romance novel: December 23rd my life changed forever...

Well, it started with my left hand ring-finger changing forever, but that also entails some life changes. He liked it so he went and put a ring on it, and after all the well-wishes, facebook comments, and gasps of delight, before us looms...
(cue dramatic minor chord)
Wedding Planning.
I would be lying through my smiling teeth if I said I have just now started wedding planning- the best friend and I pulled out the wedding magazines in September and I picked the venue in October. But now the real Planning begins, and I thought my dear abandoned blog would be a good place to make note of all the little things I'm learning about wedding planning, my life, and our future life together along the way.

Lesson #1: Guests have opinions
As soon as I threw out my sparkly, sparkly finger out to the world, people have been giving me their opinions and demands for my wedding and married life. I have already had two people threaten to not attend my wedding because we have chosen not to serve alcohol, one friend aghast that I won't be serving white wedding cake, and my highly inappropriate mother instruct my fiancee to "throw out her birth control" (direct quote). It's not so much that I'm irritated by these opinions (except for the birth control comment, that was insane) but fascinated by the indiscretionary way in which they were thrown at me 7 minutes after announcing my engagement. Our wedding will be a wedding, not a frat party; I want strawberry, not white; and when we choose to bring forth fruit from my womb is a personal decision, not a democratic reproduction. I've been told this is common, but I'm still fascinated.

Lesson #2: Males have the best ring comments
My 13-year-old cousin: "Heather got a rock!"
My grandfather: "Whoa!"
My uncle: "Holy cow, let me see that."
My fiancee's brother: "Man, that's nice." (Add +5 ranking to all compliments from this guy; they are few and far between.)
My friend: "Heather, I believe you have something to show me." (looks at ring) "What color rating is that?" /drop jaw
However, winning reaction goes to 14-year-old sister: Me- "Guess what I did last night?" Jody- "What?" Me- "Got engaged" /fling left hand out. Jody- /gasp mightily and fling backwards against passenger side door, as if ring sent shock waves through the car

Lesson #3: Wedding Planning = Decision-Making + Organization
Fortunately, I am a fairly decisive person. I know what I want when I see it, dinner choices notwithstanding (I can't pick a restaurant to save my life). I knew the ring was It after seeing 25+ others. I can't imagine having to chose: a ceremony venue, a reception venue, a photographer, a dress, a catering menu, wedding favors, my shoes, my hairstyle, my makeup, bridesmaid dresses, flowers, ceremony time, flower girl, bridesmaids, groomsmen, wedding cake design, wedding cake flavor, grooms cake design, grooms cake flavor, invitation list, invitation color, invitation envelopes, save-the-date designs, calligraphy pens, and 1567 other items without having a very good sense of self, knowledge of my style, knowledge of what my fiancee wants, and a prioritized list of what is needed/wanted/not necessary. The list of decision are absolutely overwhelming, and I am happy to report we have made decisions about the ceremony site, date, attendants, color scheme, officiant, wedding cake design and flavor, baker for cakes, and a desperate *need* for some flower/feather/sparkly decoration for the side of my head.

More lessons to come- stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment