Tuesday, December 6

Journeys Through Netflix

Some would say I have a super awesome job because I get to watch tv and movies at work.  Admittedly, sometimes this is nice, as I never miss an episode of Project Runway, but there's only so much tv and movies you watch before you reach near the bottom of the barrell.  Enter Instant Queue Netflix, a corroboration of Movies You've Never Heard Of, Movies You Wouldn't Even Watch on a Boring Saturday Afternoon, and, very occasionally, Movies You Love But They Haven't Come on TBS in Far Too Long.  These are some of the movies I have watched most recently, and my thoughts on them.


Goldeneye
Great movie.  I haven't watched it since it came out 15 years ago, and since I was 10 at the time, it appears a little different now.  Pierce Brosnan wasn't as bad as I remember, but he's no Daniel Craig and no one is Sean Connery.  Side note: introduced my 14-year-old sister to Sean Connery Sunday, since she thought I was talking about Shia "ep-i-tome" LeBouf.


Sean Connery.  Yesterday, today, and tomorrow.

Anyhow, Minnie Driver singing "Stand By Your Man" in a Russian accent.  Yeah.  Moving on.


The Last Emperor
Story about the last emperor of China, Puyi, set on the throne at age three and four years later made obsolete by the development of the Republic of China.  Peter O'Toole is his tutor, though not nearly in the movie long enough.  Very sad story; I seem to have a hard time finding non-depressing movies on Netflix (yes, I'm talking to you, Mad Men).


Ghosts of Machu Picchu
Documentary on Machu Pichu, the abandoned ancestral home of the Incas.  Kind of interesting, but I had more fun Google Mapping it.

Technology is awesome.

Star Trek
Tyler Perry is the head of the Starfleet Academy?  Eric Bana is the bad guy with funny facial deformities?  Chris Hemsworth is Kirk, Sr.??  And then they're *this*???



Yes, I have seen this movie, but I was too distracted by those two, right there, to notice Troy hero, Thor, and Tyler Perry.  Speaking of-


Tyler Perry's Why Did I Get Married Too?
Okay, I watched the original Why Did I Get Married? several months ago and surprisingly really liked it.  This one didn't start off so badly, but (spoiler alert) ten minutes before the end of the movie, Janet Jackson's husband who she's divorcing and fighting with gets hit by a car.  There's this big scene in the ER where she's all "Love each other, cherish each other" to her friends, everyone hugs and makes up, and then the guy dies.  "One Year Later" and Janet Jackson gets hit on by Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.  Also, guy who played Bruce in the tv show "Judging Amy" is a perfect replica of Doc Shizzle.  He a ho. He a ho in the first movie, and his now-ex-wife marries this super nice Sheriff. And then in the second movie, he shows back up being all, "I miss you. Didn't we have such good times together? I have cancer. Take me to my chemo appointments."  I won't be recommending this movie.


So, this week we've gone through "Stand By Your Man", sad Chinese baby, Chris Freaking Pine, and someone who owes my ex rights to make a character based on him.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment