Tuesday, March 1

AWP Numero Tres

Lesson #7: Who's designing bridesmaid dresses these days?  Hannah Montana?
I have recently entertained the thought that picking out bridesmaid dresses will be more difficult than picking out the actual wedding dress.  And not without reason.  What in the world is *this*?


Or *this*?

Why is it so hard to find bridesmaid dresses that have sleeves?  Are we assuming that all bridesmaids are now 17 years old and a size 2?  My bridesmaids are women, not girls and not sorority sisters that traipse around in cotton minis and Ugg boots.  I wouldn't wear these shiny pastel strapless frocks.  Give me *this* for less than $150.






Specifically second from the right.  A woman's dress.  A dress with structure and character, a dress to wear to church, work, a date, another wedding.  A dress that says summer, semi-casual and fits all body shapes.  I was told recently of a bride who picked out dresses from a particular store (starts with "J" and ends with "Crew") that didn't make dresses over a particular size, a size that disqualified one of her bridesmaids.  I am very familiar with both the bride and bridesmaid, who have been friends for well over 10 years.  I was appalled that this store doesn't make above this size, and even more appalled that the bride gave little thought to her friend of a decade when picking out dresses.  I would like to avoid this and other such pitfalls when making my best friends buy and wear dresses in pictures that will hang on my wall for 50 years.

Lesson #8: Slow and steady wins the race
My darling fiancee has been confused as of late.  He's been baffled at my "hit the ground running" approach to wedding planning.  When I first starting writing this, it had been exactly 33 days since the proposal , and we have already secured a ceremony site, reception site, and a photographer.  Early this month, I got *the dress*.  I have a wedding planning notebook with divided sections and lots of graph paper with lots and lots of lists.  Maybe the lots and lots of lists are a little overboard, but there's a reason behind the madness.  I attended a wedding recently in which my roommate was a bridesmaid and best friend to the bride, and the wedding planning was total chaos.  There were so many small details to which she hadn't attended that the day before the wedding was madness.  I really want to enjoy my wedding, to enjoy the showers and RSVP's and building excitement without worrying that the programs haven't been printed until the day of the wedding (no kidding).  For now, six months before the wedding, I am at a lull in planning.  I'd much rather be in the lull than in a panic two weeks before.

Lesson #9: Sometimes I can actually get tired of wedding planning
Part of the reason I hit the planning so hard to begin with was that I was so excited.  I couldn't wait to play with paper and dresses and all such, so I went ahead and did it.  I am so glad that I did, because a couple weeks ago I hit a wall and wanted nothing to do with my lists and notebook.  I still don't want much to do with such.  At the moment I am much more concerned with other "things" to do and be done besides wedding planning, so much so, that I actually started this post, oh, a month ago and have just now gotten around to finishing it.  More posts to come about what sneaky somethings have been occurring at Windchase.

No comments:

Post a Comment